12 Steps to the Humble Pillow
April 29, 2012
MORE THAN MEETS THE EYE: 12 STEPS TO PRODUCING A PILLOW
- Select fabric(s) – chenille, velvet, cotton, patterned, plain, red, blue?
- Select trim(s)–self-pipe,rope,braid,bullion,tassel,rosette?
- Determine size – 18 inches square, 24- by 18-inch rectangle, 16-inch bolster?
- Choose filling – 100 per cent down, polyester, poly cotton blend, density?
- Choose edge detail – knife, box, Turkish, tasseled, beribboned?
- Create purchase orders for fabrics, trims, forms and pillow maker.
- Order CFAs (cutting for approval) to ensure ordered fabric looks like the sample. Ninety per cent of the time, it’s accurate; however, in approximately 10 per cent of cases, it’s the wrong fabric or colour. Why? Because the fabric company had the wrong number written on the sample, or the firm discontinued the fabric, or someone simply entered the wrong number into the computer.
- Receive fabrics, trims and forms; check all are accurate.
- Send all items and detailed instructions to pillow maker.
- Review finished pillows to ensure they’re made to specification.
- Ship pillows to client’s home.
- Receive pillows on location and present to client for approval.