EP 213 | Curate your Business with Jennifer Jones, hosted by Laura Martin Bovard
March 16, 2021
Just like you curate your designs, it’s possible to curate your business. Be choosy when it comes to staff, clients and projects. Guest host and BOD™ Member, Laura Martin Bovard of LMB Interiors, interviews fellow San Francisco Bay area designer, Jennifer Jones of Niche Interiors, in this candid share-all conversation.
In this episode we learn:
- make the most of your time working for established firms
- the worst time to hire is when you need to hire
- listen for red flags during the initial phone call and during the consultation
- educate clients about the impact of delayed decision-making
- perfection is not the goal
- let go of self-doubt and trust your instincts
- be as picky about the staff and clients you choose to work with as you are about the person you marry
- know your value and speak candidly to clients about what your services will deliver
- letting go of the wrong clients and projects makes space for the right ones
- say NO, practice in front of the mirror
Jennifer’s advice: “There’s no perfect way to run a business!” Instead of asking yourself, “What’s the absolute best way to do something?”, asks yourself, “What’s the best way for me and my team?”
Laura’s advice: This moment is all we have. Fall in love with the process of growing your business, the day-to-day work. Stacking up the good moments leads to a good business and a good life.
Legal Disclosure | This podcast is for educational purposes only and should not be used for any legal decisions. Kimberley Seldon Design Group, Kimberley Seldon Productions Inc., Kimberley Seldon Design and Media, Inc., Business of Design™, or any of its affiliated companies or staff is not responsible for any errors or omissions effecting accuracy in any content, and they will not be held liable for the use or misuse of information, facts, details or any other aspects should there arise any defects, errors, omissions or perhaps inaccuracies. Extensive research has been conducted to put this podcast together for the purpose of educating our industry in order to better serve the public. Care has been taken to acknowledge ownership of copyrighted material. The advice and strategies contained herein may not be suitable for every situation. This work is offered with the understanding that we do not render any legal, accounting or other professional advice. Seek the advice of a lawyer and/or other competent professional person in all matters of law. Further, listeners should be aware that internet websites mentioned may change or disappear between when this was recorded and when it was listened to.