EP 120 | Growing on Your Own with Jaime Galapo
About this Episode
If being the boss doesn’t give you perks, then why be the boss? Listen to south Florida designer Jaime Galapo who talks about her transition from big corporate design firm to launching her own boutique business.
In this episode we learn:
- 5 strategies to support growth
- it’s all about relationships, ask questions and show interest
- your network is your net worth
- outsource when you’re strapped for time
- meet new trades on their existing job sites to see how they work
- if being the boss doesn’t give you perks, then why be the boss?
Jaime Galapo says, “My mother gave me the best advice when I started my career. ‘Present yourself with how you want to be seen’. In all ways—your everyday appearance (wardrobe, nails), and your presentation to clients. It all matters and it must be impeccable. Someone that wants to make their home pretty, wants someone ‘put together’ to do just that.”
- Pay your dues – Put in the time, start from the bottom when starting off in the industry. Gain the knowledge and expertise by working for someone else.
- Be curious and inquisitive. Make “Show Me” your two favorite words! Learn all the aspects of the business by taking the initiative to learn about plumbing, lighting, cabinetry, fabric, and more. Knowing more will make you invaluable to your company and your clients. Plus, it will set you up for those so-called “lucky breaks.” Good luck is opportunity meeting preparedness.
- Know your ABC’s – Always Be Connecting. Develop strong relationships: Get to know trades people, reps, other designers, and local industry retailers. This will be the start of building your resources, your reputation, and your Word of Mouth business. Get to know other people in the industry
- Your NETWORK is your NET WORTH: Surround yourself with ONLY the best team of people. The trades people that you hire need to make a good impression, as well as act with professionalism and have good work ethic. Anyone that works for you needs to be on their A-game. After all your team is a reflection on you and your business.
- Outsource when needed. When starting your own business, you most likely do not have a large team in place. Hire individuals for Freelance jobs such as a drafts person, a book keeper, or an assistant to help you with specific tasks.
About Jaime Galapo
Galapo Group Design, LLC is an Interior Design Firm founded on the principles of integrity, passion and professionalism. Award-winning Interior Designer and Renovation Consultant Jaime Galapo is a born artist with a keen eye for design and a passion for perfection.
With over 14 years of experience, Jaime has extensive knowledge and expertise in kitchen and bath design as well as construction, plumbing and electrical planning. Additionally, Jaime creates beautiful living spaces with the use of furniture space layout, decor, and window coverings.
Galapo Group Design utilizes state-of-the-art software and technology to generate precise three-dimensional renderings, while working with the most esteemed experts in the industry to bring their clients’ dream spaces to life.
Jaime has a bachelor’s degree in Fine Arts from The University of Florida and spent a semester studying Design in Florence, Italy. Jaime also graduated from The Art Institute of Ft. Lauderdale with a concentration in Interior Design.
STEP 1: Consultation and Sell Through (second video is Consultation Benefits)
♥ OUR PODCAST? SUBSCRIBE . . .