EP 144 | I’ve Got Questions with Marylou Sobel – Part 1
About this Episode
Hourly fees vs. flat fees and how to handle the generalist within. Award winning Australian designer, Marylou Sobel, was more confused than ever after listening to a specific Business of Design™ Podcast about flat fees. Kimberley answers her questions and provides a better understanding of which fee structure works best.
In this episode we learn:
- when you set an hourly fee, it is built for profit, not just for covering overhead
- some clients like flat fees and some like hourly fees, there is no one-size-fits-all
- when in doubt, hourly fees are less risk to the design professional
- handling a client who wants you to deviate from your process
- specialists make more money than generalists
- follow BOD™ 15 Step Project Management Strategy as prescribed
- full service means nothing
To grow a business, employ the correct staff, that can benefit your business, even if you feel like you can’t afford the salaries. Instead of wearing all the hats, hire staff to free up some of your time.
About Marylou Sobel
Marylou Sobel, one of Australia’s premier interior designers, is known for the exceptional service and the unique, one-of-a-kind interiors she creates for prominent clients around the country.
Marylou, an award-winning full-service designer, provides everything from space planning to project management. She customizes and personalizes her designs to fit each client’s lifestyle, saving them time, money and stress in the process.
Clients use words like “fantastic,” “outstanding,” “incredible style and taste,” “extremely talented,” and “a pleasure to work with” to describe her. She has designed four homes for a single client, and often works with different generations of the same family.
She is a past winner of the “Top 50 Rooms” honours by Australian House & Garden magazine, and other design awards, and her work has been featured in several publications, including the book “Interior Design Review” by Andrew Martin.
Become a member of Business of Design™. You will wonder why you didn’t do it sooner.JOIN TODAY
♥ OUR PODCAST? SUBSCRIBE . . .