EP 216 | Persistence Pays with Kate Hougen
April 6, 2021
Every new business owner needs a bit of luck to get started. Sometimes a peer or colleague is willing to share generously, and you learn something invaluable. Other times, you’re just in the right place at the right time and you’re willing to put in the hard work required so you can grab the opportunity in front of you. BOD™ member Kate Hougen says persistence pays off in every situation.
In this episode we learn:
- there is plenty of work to go around for
- most successful projects are true collaborations
- carve out time for goals and setting intentions
- don’t underestimate the power, clarity and focus of a clear set of goals
- find your niche
- raise your rates
- be open to different kinds of projects—knowing your ideal client doesn’t mean one type of aesthetic or style
- the importance of BOD™ and finding the right mix for your business
It’s okay to say NO – and it’s okay to tell clients they have to wait.
Some of my favorite projects are those in which a designer came to me and said, “can you do this?”.
- a Great Pyrenees custom wallpaper design for a powder room in Minneapolis.
- custom crab wallpaper design for an interior designer’s project near the Chesapeake Bay
- a custom colorway for an interior designer’s project in Arlington, VA.
Legal Disclosure | This podcast is for educational purposes only and should not be used for any legal decisions. Kimberley Seldon Design Group, Kimberley Seldon Productions Inc., Kimberley Seldon Design and Media, Inc., Business of Design™, or any of its affiliated companies or staff is not responsible for any errors or omissions effecting accuracy in any content, and they will not be held liable for the use or misuse of information, facts, details or any other aspects should there arise any defects, errors, omissions or perhaps inaccuracies. Extensive research has been conducted to put this podcast together for the purpose of educating our industry in order to better serve the public. Care has been taken to acknowledge ownership of copyrighted material. The advice and strategies contained herein may not be suitable for every situation. This work is offered with the understanding that we do not render any legal, accounting or other professional advice. Seek the advice of a lawyer and/or other competent professional person in all matters of law. Further, listeners should be aware that internet websites mentioned may change or disappear between when this was recorded and when it was listened to.