EP 305 | Double Down with Eric McClelland
January 3, 2023
Without confidence, the interior design professional can never really thrive. Thankfully, confidence is something you can learn and emulate. Designer Eric McClelland shares some tips and tricks for staying confident, even in the toughest situations.
In this episode we learn:
- limit project diversions initiated by the client—have a swift response and keep the project on track
- 20 years ago, most designers did better work, since clients weren’t getting as involved
- a concise concept eliminates some of the shopping that clients might do on their own
- staying firm in your first choice (vs. backpedalling) is a display of confidence—it’s hard to exude confidence if you are backpedalling
- sometimes our job is to say no, early in the project
- use budget as the condition for changing your choices
- when a client wants you to price multiple options, let her know it will create additional design fees
Legal Disclosure | This podcast is for educational purposes only and should not be used for any legal decisions. Kimberley Seldon Design Group, Kimberley Seldon Productions Inc., Kimberley Seldon Design and Media, Inc., Business of Design™, or any of its affiliated companies or staff is not responsible for any errors or omissions effecting accuracy in any content, and they will not be held liable for the use or misuse of information, facts, details or any other aspects should there arise any defects, errors, omissions or perhaps inaccuracies. Extensive research has been conducted to put this podcast together for the purpose of educating our industry in order to better serve the public. Care has been taken to acknowledge ownership of copyrighted material. The advice and strategies contained herein may not be suitable for every situation. This work is offered with the understanding that we do not render any legal, accounting or other professional advice. Seek the advice of a lawyer and/or other competent professional person in all matters of law. Further, listeners should be aware that internet websites mentioned may change or disappear between when this was recorded and when it was listened to.