EP 189 | Well Styled with Margot Austin
September 29, 2020
About this Episode
To create the most compelling photos of your projects, you must do more than just document the space. By working with a team of professionals that includes a photographer and an expert stylist, you’ll be able to produce a narrative that markets your services to your ideal client or the publication you want to pursue.
In this episode we learn:
- the stylist oversees art direction; providing direction for the overall narrative of the story
- preparing for the photo shoot is a huge percentage of the effort that leads to great results
- avoid the cliches—stilettos and a Kelly bag on the floor of the entrance or the Hermes blanket on the sofa
- always put the toilet seat down for shoots
- your chances of getting published increase when you work with a stylist who is connected to the magazine you want to appear in
- before scheduling the photo shoot, determine where you will use the images
- a stylist helps when the designer is too close to the interior or “over it” because they’ve been working on the project for years
- compelling photography is not documenting the home; it’s just capturing the magic
You’ll never be younger to learn. Margot’s Mom used to say this to her when she’d say, “But Mom, I don’t know how!” It has pushed Margot to learn new things, which has been invaluable in advancing in my career. Right now, she’s learning TikTok.
Legal Disclosure | This podcast is for educational purposes only and should not be used for any legal decisions. Kimberley Seldon Design Group, Kimberley Seldon Productions Inc., Kimberley Seldon Design and Media, Inc., Business of Design™, or any of its affiliated companies or staff is not responsible for any errors or omissions effecting accuracy in any content, and they will not be held liable for the use or misuse of information, facts, details or any other aspects should there arise any defects, errors, omissions or perhaps inaccuracies. Extensive research has been conducted to put this podcast together for the purpose of educating our industry in order to better serve the public. Care has been taken to acknowledge ownership of copyrighted material. The advice and strategies contained herein may not be suitable for every situation. This work is offered with the understanding that we do not render any legal, accounting or other professional advice. Seek the advice of a lawyer and/or other competent professional person in all matters of law. Further, listeners should be aware that internet websites mentioned may change or disappear between when this was recorded and when it was listened to.