EP 233 | Purchasing Artwork Online with Andrea Bogart
August 3, 2021
For many design professionals, the task of purchasing artwork for clients or advising them on their own purchases is challenging. Andrea Bogart of Embrace Creatives says she’s a matchmaker who pairs designers with reliable, professional artists—keeping projects on track and on budget.
In this episode we learn:
- a clear understanding of what’s considered quality workmanship, so you don’t get stuck with an inferior product
- quality begins with highly professional artists, so make sure the online art source has professional documentation
- with paper/printmaking, ensure stray pieces of backing are cut off neatly and watch for small white patches where the ink has not been evenly applied
- with fiber/textile artwork, check for even tension throughout the weaving (zoom with the dealer and ask them to hold the item up to various light)
- with paintings, ask about varnishing and avoid placing in full sun or near heat registers
- with paintings, avoid wrinkles and puckers ask to see the corners
Don’t let your business run you. Get organized, stick to boundaries and be in charge.
Successful people work ON their lives, not in their lives. They don’t let their days push and pull them, like they’re in a trance, but instead, they actively mold their life. And while doing so, they also design their business, on purpose. That concept woke me up. I got back into meditation, am more mindful of the present moment, and attract successful and good people to my life and business. In addition, I feel stronger, emotionally and say “no” more often to things that do not serve me.
Legal Disclosure | This podcast is for educational purposes only and should not be used for any legal decisions. Kimberley Seldon Design Group, Kimberley Seldon Productions Inc., Kimberley Seldon Design and Media, Inc., Business of Design™, or any of its affiliated companies or staff is not responsible for any errors or omissions effecting accuracy in any content, and they will not be held liable for the use or misuse of information, facts, details or any other aspects should there arise any defects, errors, omissions or perhaps inaccuracies. Extensive research has been conducted to put this podcast together for the purpose of educating our industry in order to better serve the public. Care has been taken to acknowledge ownership of copyrighted material. The advice and strategies contained herein may not be suitable for every situation. This work is offered with the understanding that we do not render any legal, accounting or other professional advice. Seek the advice of a lawyer and/or other competent professional person in all matters of law. Further, listeners should be aware that internet websites mentioned may change or disappear between when this was recorded and when it was listened to.