EP 024 | Mistakes, I’ve Made A Few with Kimberley Seldon
September 7, 2017
About this Episode
If you are a design professional and you are managing projects on behalf of clients, you are going to deal with mistakes—lots of them. Since it’s not possible to avoid all mistakes, then doesn’t it make sense that that so focus on managing that professionally. I’m not being glib about mistakes – they are simply a fact.
In this episode we learn:
– mistakes happen
– why the complexity of the work makes errors inevitable
– the interior design professional cannot prevent every mistake from happening
– what matters most is how the professional manages errors and missteps
– which errors are billable, and which are non-billable
Mistakes are inevitable. It’s how we manage these errors and missteps that matters most to clients. Here are some questions to consider.
- Do we look for a remedy that best serves the client?
- If the mistake is ours, can we accept responsibility and be honest about it?
- Can we honestly say that someone else’s mistake was 100% out of our control? Or did we have a part in that error too?
- When we are at fault, in any way, is there a system we could introduce that would prevent us from ever making the same mistake—or one like it, again?
Legal Disclosure | This podcast is for educational purposes only and should not be used for any legal decisions. Kimberley Seldon Design Group, Kimberley Seldon Productions Inc., Kimberley Seldon Design and Media, Inc., Business of Design™, or any of its affiliated companies or staff is not responsible for any errors or omissions effecting accuracy in any content, and they will not be held liable for the use or misuse of information, facts, details or any other aspects should there arise any defects, errors, omissions or perhaps inaccuracies. Extensive research has been conducted to put this podcast together for the purpose of educating our industry in order to better serve the public. Care has been taken to acknowledge ownership of copyrighted material. The advice and strategies contained herein may not be suitable for every situation. This work is offered with the understanding that we do not render any legal, accounting or other professional advice. Seek the advice of a lawyer and/or other competent professional person in all matters of law. Further, listeners should be aware that internet websites mentioned may change or disappear between when this was recorded and when it was listened to.