EP 120 | Growing on Your Own with Jaime Galapo
July 8, 2019
About this Episode
If being the boss doesn’t give you perks, then why be the boss? Listen to south Florida designer Jaime Galapo who talks about her transition from big corporate design firm to launching her own boutique business.
In this episode we learn:
- 5 strategies to support growth
- it’s all about relationships, ask questions and show interest
- your network is your net worth
- outsource when you’re strapped for time
- meet new trades on their existing job sites to see how they work
- if being the boss doesn’t give you perks, then why be the boss?
Jaime Galapo says, “My mother gave me the best advice when I started my career. ‘Present yourself with how you want to be seen’. In all ways—your everyday appearance (wardrobe, nails), and your presentation to clients. It all matters and it must be impeccable. Someone that wants to make their home pretty, wants someone ‘put together’ to do just that.”
- Pay your dues – Put in the time, start from the bottom when starting off in the industry. Gain the knowledge and expertise by working for someone else.
- Be curious and inquisitive. Make “Show Me” your two favorite words! Learn all the aspects of the business by taking the initiative to learn about plumbing, lighting, cabinetry, fabric, and more. Knowing more will make you invaluable to your company and your clients. Plus, it will set you up for those so-called “lucky breaks.” Good luck is opportunity meeting preparedness.
- Know your ABC’s – Always Be Connecting. Develop strong relationships: Get to know trades people, reps, other designers, and local industry retailers. This will be the start of building your resources, your reputation, and your Word of Mouth business. Get to know other people in the industry
- Your NETWORK is your NET WORTH: Surround yourself with ONLY the best team of people. The trades people that you hire need to make a good impression, as well as act with professionalism and have good work ethic. Anyone that works for you needs to be on their A-game. After all your team is a reflection on you and your business.
- Outsource when needed. When starting your own business, you most likely do not have a large team in place. Hire individuals for Freelance jobs such as a drafts person, a book keeper, or an assistant to help you with specific tasks.
Thank you to our amazing sponsor!
Legal Disclosure | This podcast is for educational purposes only and should not be used for any legal decisions. Kimberley Seldon Design Group, Kimberley Seldon Productions Inc., Kimberley Seldon Design and Media, Inc., Business of Design™, or any of its affiliated companies or staff is not responsible for any errors or omissions effecting accuracy in any content, and they will not be held liable for the use or misuse of information, facts, details or any other aspects should there arise any defects, errors, omissions or perhaps inaccuracies. Extensive research has been conducted to put this podcast together for the purpose of educating our industry in order to better serve the public. Care has been taken to acknowledge ownership of copyrighted material. The advice and strategies contained herein may not be suitable for every situation. This work is offered with the understanding that we do not render any legal, accounting or other professional advice. Seek the advice of a lawyer and/or other competent professional person in all matters of law. Further, listeners should be aware that internet websites mentioned may change or disappear between when this was recorded and when it was listened to.