EP 176 | Make it Matter with OMFGCO
June 23, 2020
About this Episode
With any design problem to solve, it’s easy to make it pretty, but hard to make it matter. Choosing visionary clients and beginning every project with a beginner’s mind, allows you to listen to what the client wants and needs and solve for what matters most.
In this episode we learn:
- say yes to projects that are backed by clients who share similar values to you; pass on those that do not.
- get clear on what defines success for a project
- start with a beginner’s mind when researching and gathering information, even if you’ve done similar projects in the past
- good ideas can come from anywhere.
- everything is an opportunity—no project goes as planned, so lean into the challenges that come up along the way to find creative solutions that embrace the reality of the situation in an elegant and thoughtful way.
Our friend, Donald, is the GM at Ace Hotel Portland, and we always admired his ability to run complex operations with multiple teams with very little stress, and we wondered how he did it. He said the secret was simple: lead with generosity. Hire competent people that you trust, and allow them to own their job.
THANK YOU TO OUR SPONSOR!
Legal Disclosure | This podcast is for educational purposes only and should not be used for any legal decisions. Kimberley Seldon Design Group, Kimberley Seldon Productions Inc., Kimberley Seldon Design and Media, Inc., Business of Design™, or any of its affiliated companies or staff is not responsible for any errors or omissions effecting accuracy in any content, and they will not be held liable for the use or misuse of information, facts, details or any other aspects should there arise any defects, errors, omissions or perhaps inaccuracies. Extensive research has been conducted to put this podcast together for the purpose of educating our industry in order to better serve the public. Care has been taken to acknowledge ownership of copyrighted material. The advice and strategies contained herein may not be suitable for every situation. This work is offered with the understanding that we do not render any legal, accounting or other professional advice. Seek the advice of a lawyer and/or other competent professional person in all matters of law. Further, listeners should be aware that internet websites mentioned may change or disappear between when this was recorded and when it was listened to.