EP 051 | DON’T SHOP ME
About this Episode
In today’s web savvy world, there is no way to prevent clients from shopping you. Or is there? With this helpful guide, you’ll be able to avoid the worst of getting shopped by clients.
In this episode we learn:
– there is no way to prevent clients from shopping you, but you can minimize it
– transparency develops trust and provides clients with confidence in your ability to manage their project
– what it takes to tighten up your image so clients will trust you more quickly
- Tighten up time frames from consultation (STEP 1) to presentation (STEP 1).
- Create consistent marketing across all platforms—website, social media, photography. Consider a catch phrase.
- Educate clients about dangers of sourcing the cheapest possible options items, especially from internet platforms where there is no human being to assist.
- Refuse to manage returns or chaos created by clients ordering their own goods to save money.
- Consider creating custom furniture where budget allows.
- Speak out against manufacturers who are undercutting designers and the work we do.
- Promote, share and protect those manufacturers and suppliers who support the industry.
- Strengthen your intake process.
- To foster trust, keep financial elements transparent.
- Remind clients that what you are providing is a lifestyle and the experience that what you are selling is lifestyle, not products.
Ask a trusted friend to review your visual touch points—website, social media platforms, photographs and describe what she sees. Is her understanding of who you are online in alignment with the image you are trying to project? If not, begin the process of editing and curating your image.
BOD & You
As interior design professionals, we LOVE our work because it matters so much. We want our clients to get our best every time, because it’s going to affect the way they live for years to come. But doing our best work isn’t possible if we can’t dedicate ourselves to it. And we can’t dedicate ourselves to it if doesn’t earn us a living.
Business of Design is the best professional advice and business coaching available, and it’s just for you. Our mission is to liberate your talent and skill by showing you how to run a business that supports you, empowers you, and lets you love your work again.Join Today